Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Little Catch Up

Fast-forward five months. I was arrested in Mexico City, spend two nights in jail, two nights in federal prison and eight nights in immigration detention. I was also exposed to the joke of a court system Mexico provides in its "democracy". All for no reason other than another gringo got caught in the system and everyone wanted to have a chance to squeeze some money out of him. I learned that corruption in the Mexican government filters down to almost every low-level employee. (Almost) And the people not directly engaged in it essentially support as The Way Things Are. Especially corrupt in a big, glaring way, is the entire police force. It is a sad example of human nature and I am embarrassed for the Mexican people and, like many educated Mexicans I spoke with, not terribly hopeful for a future of true democracy there.

I will say that oddly (or luckily) some of the most friendly (and interesting) people I've met in Mexico were in the prison. If you've traveled out of your home country, you know the sensation of being the obvious outsider. Try being the only gringo in el Reclusorio Norte Prison in Mexico City. Fucked up.

I've also completed an article and photo story for a new non profit magazine about micro finance. I met with the family of Lucia Reyes in San Miguel las Tablas, outside of Mexico City. You can see the article here: http://www.allencraigphotography.com/microfinance-article/AllenCraig_Microfinance.pdf

Anyway, I am now in Otavalo, Ecuador, where my posts will begin again infrequently. Shortly I will head further south to Cuenca.

No comments:

Post a Comment